Then here is a list of essential tools and supplies which are helpful to practice free motion quilting (FMQ):
- Free motion quilting foot
- Schmetz Topstitch needles - 80/12 for 50wt thread or 90/14 for 40wt thread
- Quilting thread. For example Sulky 40wt Rayon, Superior Threads So Fine #50 Polyester, Auriful 50wt thread, Isacord Polyester Threads, Coats and Clarks 30wt cotton machine quilting thread.
- Supreme slider or any other teflon mat which they already use for quilting
- Machingers quilting gloves
- Quilt Sandwich for practice. I generally use either solid color layer cake, fat quarter or half yard of fabric.
- Paper/Pen for practicing quilting designs.L
- Little Genie Magic Bobbin Washers (optional)
- Water soluble marking pen or disappearing marking pen of your choice
Some of the fabrics I found very helpful for practicing FMQ:
- Darker Solid fabric with contrasting lighter quilting thread. For example Back Moda Bella or Kona solids or any other fabric of their choice with white thread.
- Stripes which are 1.5inches to 2 inches apart
- Large prints or Panels